Monday, September 30, 2013

3 days in reverse

Today was a very productive day, if I do say so myself.

I had planned on waking up early, for several reasons. I actually asked Jessie to wake me up at 10, which is pretty much dawn for me. I had lots to get done today, but more so than that, I'm trying to escape my nocturnal life. Even before I worked in a bar, I am naturally drawn to the vampire's lifestyle (minus the blood sucking). My peak hours are between 10pm and 3am, generally speaking. But it's rough being on opposite hours from the one you love, so I'm trying to get it so we can fall asleep together once more.

My plans did not succeed. I woke up at 4pm. But! After rising, I made another honey cinnamon latte and had half a bagel with pumpkin butter on top!

latte art is still a no go

I fucking love pumpkin season. In fact, my goal tomorrow is to make my own pumpkin spice sauce for my latte! I'm excited, I'll let you know how it goes. Anyways. After bagel and latte consumption, I did laundry, took the trash out, swept the balcony (it's less ugly now! or at least less covered in sawdust and bugs), and took a shower! And this was all before 6pm!

THEN it gets even better. Being unemployed is doing wonders for my self-betterment project. I practiced my ukulele today! I'm working on learning Living Room by Tegan and Sara. I wouldn't say it was my favorite of theirs, but recently it's in my head all the time. It's not new either, but there's just something about it that has really grown on me. But then again, I love all of Tegan and Sara's songs so much, I wouldn't be surprised if I went through phases of every last one of their songs being my favorite. I recorded myself practicing the strum pattern, but it's pretty terrible and I'm not wearing pants, so you can watch the official music video instead.

Tegan and Sara - Living Room

Jessie started her new quarter today, she had class from 8 until 5ish. After she got home and had a short nap, we went to the Bi-Lo that is going out of business. We maaaay have gotten a little carried away. Luckily we have lots of food stamp money (another plus of being unemployed) so no harm done. Dinner was nothing exciting, we got one of those "chef prepared" steam in the microwave Harris Teeter dinners... it wasn't BAD, but it wasn't great either. But our mashed potatoes are always AWESOME. The mozzarella sticks we got today were a yummy side as well.

Because I am a Halloween and horror fanatic, we watched a scary movie tonight and last night. Tonight's feature was The Devil Inside. It wasn't terrifying by any means, but it might've qualified as creepy. I enjoyed the documentary style, but the ending was weirdly abrupt. I'm sure they were going for that sudden cut of that leaves you jittery and terrified that you're going to be next, but it left me feeling "wait, that's it?" "it's over?" and over all a bit unsatisfied. It wasn't so bad I'd call it a waste of time, but I wouldn't recommend it either. 

Before bed, I finish my productive day with one last thing...

I baked bread!

Well, I'm baking it anyways. I mixed up the dough, and it'll rise all night and I can bake it tomorrow. Homemade bread! I'm really becoming a housewife now! This is my first attempt, I hope it turns out alright! (Thanks to Carrie for the inspiration)

Yesterday I cleaned and unpacked while Jessie was gone at Renaissance Faire dress rehearsal all day.  I met her and a bunch of other rennies at Steak n Shake. 

before
 
after

The s'mores shake is THE SHIT. I still don't understand why they don't have a pumpkin shake though.

We came home and did porridge face! Traveling really didn't do great things for my skin nor Jessie's, so I forced upon her my favorite face mask. Oatmeal, organic plain low-fat yogurt, and honey. (Thanks to Carlie for this one)

#fierce

The day before yesterday I can't remember the beginning of, (this is why I need to hurry and make my Vegas post because I have a horrible memory) but for the last half Jessie and I went to the mall and exchanged her too big shoes for some sexy DCs that have pinstripes and fit! I told her I think I'm developing a shoe fetish because she just looks so damn good in them. (But then I wondered, don't all girls have shoe fetishes? Jessie just stared at me. So I corrected myself- all femmes at least...) Then we went to Kohl's and played pretend in the house section. 

 Caught a gorgeous sunset at the mall

Not Jessie's new shoes, but these vans looked adorable on her as well

LOOK HOW ADORABLE THESE ESPRESSO CUPS ARE (*A*)

Then we came home and had steak with bearnaise sauce, mashed potatoes, cheesy garlic bread, and a salad. It was delicious! We watched Cabin in the Woods (I'd been meaning to see it for ages) and it was AWESOME. Not exactly terrifying either, but a FANTASTIC movie. Really cool. Highly recommend. And there was enough blood and gore to keep me from missing the terror! I was a big fan of the overall concept of the movie too. 

I like a little gore with my steak too!

I've decided to apply to be a substitute teacher or possibly a teacher's assistant. It'd be nice to have benefits and to get in the classroom before going to Japan. I also might be able to work at the Renaissance Faire this year too! I'm excited and really crossing my fingers on that one. I've spent the last year looking into Jessie's world and getting to know her faire family, but it would be really neat to actually become apart of it all. Cross your fingers! Though I don't know what that would mean for going out for Halloween or for going to Scarowinds... Hmmmm. Well, if all else fails, I can always pump myself full of energy drinks and party anyways. I think I might be a little nervous to do Faire, it's just such a commitment, and it really is like joining another world. I've been comfortable on the very outside of that world looking in, but I'm both nervous and excited at the chance to actually cross into it.

Oh, I finished reading Odd Thomas. I'm on Forever Odd now. I've got some quotes for you now. 

This quote from Odd Thomas reminded me of my post on fame and hollywood. I went back and reread it, I didn't really remember writing it but I really like it! Is that weird? Anyways, here's the quote:

""Gladys," Stormy said. "Her name was Gladys, wasn't it?" There is a movie-star fame like that enjoyed by Tom Cruise, rock-star fame like that of Mick Jagger, literary fame, political fame…. But mere fame has grown into real legend when people of different generations remember your mother's name a quarter of a century after your death and nearly half a century after hers."
 
I wonder if we'll ever have another legend like that?
 
Here's a couple from Forever Odd.
 
"When the constellation of Cassiopeia is in this hemisphere and I am able to identify it, I feel less alone. 
This isn't a reasoned response to a configuration of stars, but the heart cannot flourish on logic alone. Unreason is an essential medicine as long as you do not overdose."
 
I really like that last line. 
And here's the last quote, this one on happiness. I agree wholeheartedly with this quote. It's something I'd like everyone to know.
 
""I'm happy," I assured him. 
For a block or so, he didn't say anything. Then:
"You're at peace, son. There's a big difference."
"Which would be what?"
"If you're still, and if you don't hope too much, peace will come to you. It's a grace. But you have to choose happiness."
"It's that easy, is it? Just choose?"
"Making the decision to choose isn't always easy."
I said, "This sounds like you've been thinking too much."
"We sometimes take refuge in misery, a strange kind of comfort."
Although he paused, I said nothing.
He continued: "But no matter what happens in life, happiness is there for us, waiting to be embraced."


Well, on that note, I'm going to bed. I have bread to bake and mead to make tomorrow! And maybe tomorrow I'll finally write about the Vegas trip! It's a good thing Jessie has a good memory. She can remember things for me.

Til tomorrow, embrace happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment